Monday, August 9, 2010

Carl Vine's Five Bagatelles



It's funny. I was never 20th century music person, particularly NOT one who would rave about the intricacies and expanse of strange chords, bizarre harmonies, and offbeat tempo. Believe me, all these characteristics combined makes the piece extra difficult to learn. But then, I have come to looove this set of five bagatelles (thanks Raymond!). It took months, but I have finally acquired my taste for it.

Here's a teeny bit of what I wrote as part of my research for this work:

"The Five Bagatelles are compact, compelling pieces that grew from a request for Vine to play the piano at the annual fund-raising dinner of the Australian National AIDS Trust in 1994. The Five Bagatelles features a fascination with rhythm and rhythmic structures that manifests itself in all of the highly contrasting pieces highlighted in some shape or form. While bagatelles are usually understood as a miniature form compared with a sonata - here, however, they are also in a sense about the largeness of a single musical moment or melody, held in focus while its internal life is explored."

This piece has opened my ears to the myriad of sounds and harmonies the piano is capable of. Ultimately, I'm glad this lovely set of five has helped me to grow as a musician. It taught me to think, not only of what was printed in front of me, but also its whole musical direction and soul.

What I'd like to tackle next? Carl Vine's Sonata.

One day. I hope.

3 comments:

Michael K said...

As mentioned before, I'm not a 20th century fan too. Not as of now of course. However, I've realized that modern compositions emphasize on sound, color and rhythm. Simple, yet effective way to compose songs!

Aaron said...

I enjoyed the last part of the piece. The slower section :). Really nice sounds coming out.

Stephie said...

Haha. Aaron always likes the slower parts. LOL.

True, Mike :D